- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500g/1lb 1oz boneless pork shoulder, cubed
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 50g/1¾oz pancetta, cut into chunks
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, sliced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp thyme
- 400g/14oz tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 75g/2½oz tomato purée
- 225ml/8fl oz white wine
- 150g/5¼oz spicy chorizo, skin removed and cut into chunks
- 300g/10oz small fresh clams
- handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- potato wedges (fried)
Heat the olive oil in a casserole dish. Add the pork and fry until browned on all sides. Once browned, remove the pork and set aside. Fry the potato wedges.
Add the onion, pancetta, garlic, green pepper, paprika, bay leaf and thyme, and fry until the onions have softened.
Add the tomatoes, tomato purée and wine, mix well, and bring to the boil.
Reduce the heat and return the pork to the pan with the chorizo. Cover and simmer for 50 minutes.
Finally, just before serving, add the clams, wedges and parsley, mixing well, and cook for a further five minutes or until the clams have opened. Discard any that don’t open.
Serve with the stew spooned over the top and garnished with coriander.